After escaping Bath this past Sunday for a program excursion, I can better articulate why I am in awe of this city. The streets embody an amalgam of tourist activity and classic charm. The old Georgian architecture dominates the skyline and the Bath Abbey and Roman baths lie at the heart of city center, preserving the historic quality of the town. And while tourists still flock to see the spas, their presence merely adds to the bustling atmosphere rather than overwhelming it. I merely laughed when a group of tourists cut across my path to reconvene upon hearing a quick whistle blast from a man whom I presume was their guide.
It's hard to consider myself as a tourist when I identify as a student. I am currently putting off my trip to the city's tourist landmarks and have thus far avoided taking pictures, though the latter is due in part to my lack of batteries. I'll certainly return with some pictures of the city, but I hope to capture the places that become special and tell a part of my story here rather than take random snapshots. Two sites will definitely make the cut:
The Huntsman: This pub is situated on the corner of North Parade and is a walk down the block and across Pierrepont Street from my home, Nunes. Though I've been here one short week, I estimate my friends and I have made the trek at least five times, if not more. There are two full floors crowded with tables for two and larger ones to host a small party. It's close proximity means we frequently go over and talk for a few hours over a pint, particularly for the Monday and Thursday student nights, which means drinks go for 1.5 pounds.
Sainsbury's: The grocery store and therefore a favorite of mine. The hummus is incredible. My suite has already been through three small tubs, and I picked up two more today. I will survive on pita and hummus. I'm not kidding; it's just that delicious.
I'm still looking for a suitable cafe to do work. I went to Boston Tea Party today and though I enjoyed my small personal pot of tea and was tempted by the delicious looking menu, the chairs were remarkably uncomfortable. Unfortunate, really. Also on my search list, a decent bakery: I need good bread and am currently prevented from attempting to bake here as my oven is uncooperative. Luckily, I'm spending four months here and will hopefully discover other happy places. Like a good playground with big kid swings.
. . . the eternal search for good food and bread continues. Some family traditions span the generations. As for the "pints", I am sure that is referring to milk.
ReplyDeletesounds awesome so far. yes, i want pictures!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the url for the white horse!
ReplyDeleteWould you get some batteries in your camera and your buns out of the pub and take some pictures?!
We are in Florida, BTW. Nice in the sun but 55 and windy.
When do we get to hear about Stonehenge????
ReplyDeleteI recommend kindling coffee- it's in widcombe, just down the street from clarendon, and you need to try the waffles. please try the waffles for me.
ReplyDelete