Thursday, March 29, 2012

Peace Corps Morocco: A Very Brief Introduction

After much waiting and anticipation, I arrived in Morocco last Wednesday (21 March). We flew into Casablanca and then we were bussed to Rabat (approximately two hour ride) for orientation. This first week has been a whirlwind of activities, which unfortunately resulted in a lot of sitting. While the lectures covered critical topics like security and health, more often than not they proved tedious and redundant. With my limited free time, I was able to explore a bit of Rabat, the capital of Morocco. Like many Moroccan cities, Rabat is built around the medina, the old city, which was preserved during the colonial period. Whitewashed, concrete apartment buildings topped with satellites dominate the city-scape. Street vendors and small cafesfrequented predominantly by menline the main roads. The Peace Corps Office is located here in Rabat, so I have not exhausted myself trying to see every corner of the city since my return is inevitable.

Tomorrow morning I depart for Moulay Yacub, a small, mountain town just north of Fes, for Community Based Training. I'll be living with a host family for the next two months, so I can be immersed in the language and culture. I will also have the opportunity to work at the Dar Chabab (youth center) to gain needed technical experience. My official assignment in Morocco is Youth Development. When I reach my final sitethe city or town where I will reside for two yearsI will be teaching English and doing other programs with my local Dar Chabab.

What you can expect from this blog in the future: You perhaps have already noticed the older blog poststhey are from my Bath study abroad program in 2009. Feel free to read these if you are interested, but those entries are not necessarily representative of how I will blog while living in Morocco. Reporting on my day to day activities is not really my intent (and so far such details have not proven particularly blog worthy). Instead, I hope to offer snapshots of Moroccan culture through my observation and experience.

On a final note: I have been very lucky to have the encouragement and help of so many. Thanks to you all for your support along the way. I would love to hear from you during these next 27 months, although I cannot promise that I will respond punctually, if it allI suspect the next five months in particular will be overwhelming in the best way possible, leaving little time for personalized correspondence. Just know that any message will make my day. In return, I will endeavor to share as much of my experience as possible through this blog.

3 comments:

  1. Leah -
    Wow, I'm already excited to experience a brief stroll of Rabat vicariously through you!

    So, this will come to you as a shock, but I'm curious about what your new soundscapes are like (in Rabat, Moulay Yacub, and wherever else you travel). Also, I would like to vicariously experience some of your favorite food, please - preferably with pictures :D. I'm also really interested (last one) to see how much the Arab Spring protests show up in your experience and interactions there. Most importantly, I'm excited to see what you decide to write about! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

    Love and aloha,
    Nawa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't leave out the smells, tastes, and colors. THANK YOU for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, language immersion already! So glad you're diving in, Leah! I cannot wait to follow your journey via blog and loving energy sent to each other across the oceans. Live it up-- you've waited for this moment and you deserve the fullest experience possible!
    Love you, my rocking woman!
    Aleeza

    ReplyDelete