I thought it would be helpful to elaborate on the structure of Peace Corps Morocco, so that you might better understand my trajectory for the next two years. To begin, I am not yet a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV); I’m currently a Peace Corps Trainee (PCT). Once I complete two months of Pre-Service Training (PST), I will be sworn in as a PCV. The swearing in ceremony will take place at the end of May.
Do you follow?
I’m part of the Fes HUB, and my CBT site is Moulay Yacoub, which is a 30-minute drive from the city. I am one of six PCTs here in Moulay Yacub, and for the next two months, we will live and learn in this community. Not only do we have welcoming and supportive host families, but we are also led by Ikram, our wise and fearless Language and Cultural Facilitator (LCF). During the week, most of our time is dedicated to language training with Ikram—something like six hours a day. (We just arrived in Moulay Yacoub last Thursday, so I’m still adjusting to the schedule.) My CBT group will gather with our entire HUB three times during the next two months to debrief and share our experiences—I’m already curious to hear other PCT’s stories and learn about their sites.
Once I successfully finish PST—there is a language exam I have to pass—and am sworn in as a PCV, I will be sent to my final placement site, which could be anywhere in Morocco. My final site is determined by two interviews that will take place during CBT. It’s essentially luck of the draw.
I have already finished the first part of PST, which was nine days of orientation in Rabat. Phase two is called Community Based Training (CBT). The PCTs are divided into three HUB groups, and each HUB has a designated city—Fes, Immouzer, or Azrou. There is a grand total of 113 PCTs in my Peace Corps class, or stage (to use the correct terminology), so there are approximately 40 PCTs in each HUB. HUB groups are then divided into CBT groups of six or seven PCTs; CBT groups live in or near the HUB, with each PCT living with a different host family at their designated CBT site.
Do you follow?
I’m part of the Fes HUB, and my CBT site is Moulay Yacoub, which is a 30-minute drive from the city. I am one of six PCTs here in Moulay Yacub, and for the next two months, we will live and learn in this community. Not only do we have welcoming and supportive host families, but we are also led by Ikram, our wise and fearless Language and Cultural Facilitator (LCF). During the week, most of our time is dedicated to language training with Ikram—something like six hours a day. (We just arrived in Moulay Yacoub last Thursday, so I’m still adjusting to the schedule.) My CBT group will gather with our entire HUB three times during the next two months to debrief and share our experiences—I’m already curious to hear other PCT’s stories and learn about their sites.
Once I successfully finish PST—there is a language exam I have to pass—and am sworn in as a PCV, I will be sent to my final placement site, which could be anywhere in Morocco. My final site is determined by two interviews that will take place during CBT. It’s essentially luck of the draw.
That’s what my future holds.
No comments:
Post a Comment