Friday, May 4, 2012

Les Faux Pas

Don’t stretch in public. This is so difficult to remember—I had no idea I stretched so often.

Failing to remove your shoes before walking across a rug. My other downfall, which is surprising since I never wear shoes inside. I think I’m usually too focused on greeting people properly to remember to take off my shoes, let alone notice if the floor has a rug. 

Never walk in front of someone while they’re praying.

Killing flies at meal times. It’s considered dirty.

The soles of your shoes are also very dirty, so you shouldn’t flash them at people. Be careful when crossing your legs or checking for poop or gum.

Not offering food/drink you are consuming with others in the room. I’ve seen single chips broken apart so that the pieces might be shared.

Eating with your left hand—it’s only for wiping.

Discussing the turk and bodily functions.

Talking about boyfriends/girlfriends in front of others, particularly since such relationships are frowned upon.

Throwing bread away. It should be set out with the trash in a separate bag. Extra edible food—not to be confused with leftovers—also gets its own bag. Easy access for beggars and animals.

Chucking bread across the table is a no-no; it should be passed with respect. Bread is held in high regard since it is eaten at every meal. 

Sitting on or putting your feet on ponj pillows is rude. The ponj (a cross between a couch and twin size bed) doubles as seating for guests and a bed for the family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment