What Peace Corps Told
Me
- Foum Oudi is a new Peace Corps site.
- I would be placed alone.
- Province: Beni Mellal (If you find the city of Beni Mellal on a map, you will have discovered my approximate location. I’m a 20-minute taxi ride outside of Beni Mellal.)
- I’m five hours from Rabat.
- The closest police and gendarmes are in Beni Mellal.
- In town, there is a commune, a kind of local authority/government.
- There are no major environmental hazards, like floods or landslides in my town.
- There’s a cyber cafĂ© in town, as well as cell phone coverage. And if I wanted to I could have a landline or send a telegram.
- There is a souk (market) every Thursday between Foum Oudi and the next town over, Ouled Mbarek.
- Another PCV, my good friend Berenice, was placed in Ouled Mbarek.
- There is no bank in Foum Oudi, but there is a post office.
- There is a hospital/health center in site.
- My host family and mudir (director of the Dar Chabab) are very excited about my arrival.
- My host family speaks Tamazight, as well as Darija. And my host father is retired from the military.
What Wikipedia Told Me
- Foum Oudi is a rural commune of 7, 802 people with 1, 404 households.
What Google Images Asked
Me
- Did you mean Audi?
I arrived in site on Thursday, May 24. What I learn about
Foum Oudi will follow in later posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment