When I was growing up, I spent the
summers on my cherished lavender Schwinn. I rode to Ben Franklin for penny
candy—gummy strawberries and Cola bottles, Tootsie Rolls, and SweeTarts
suckers—or to Hugga-Booms, the red snow cone stand fashioned after a train car,
for lemon-lime shaved ice. I raced down Theater Lane, so named for the single converted
home outfitted by the local theater guild, but dubbed by the neighborhood kids
as Theater Hill for the road’s steep descent. And I wound my way through the
suburban streets to the public library, where I traded in my Schwinn for the
pleasure of a book.
My library adventures were solo
excursions. There was a separate room in the back for kids, complete with a
couple cushy chairs for reading with your mom or dad. I rarely curled up in
those armchairs, opting instead to sit cross-legged on the carpeted floor,
hunched over the book in my lap—this remains my favorite position in bookstores
today. When I had exhausted most of the books—at least the ones that interested
me—in the children's section, I began spending more time with the young adult
fiction. I would sit and read Sweet Valley High for hours because my dad
thought it was trashy, and I was too embarrassed to bring it home. And I always
took a turn through the tall steel-framed bookshelves that held the huge
volumes. I would find an excuse to stand on one of those stools, usually of the
beige variety that squeaked under any weight, so that I might peer up at the top
shelves. I wondered who checked out those unwieldy tomes when there were so
many stories unread.
When I left for Peace Corps, I was
determined to read as much as I could about Morocco and Islam. I would have
ample reading time to explore texts about Morocco's history and culture to complement
my lived experience. The Peace Corps office in Rabat has a library, and
volunteers can check out books; however, my attempts to crack a history volume
have failed miserably. Reading has always been a means of travel—novels
transport me elsewhere. This might explain my fascination with international
authors. In high school, I fell in love with Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Italo Calvino,
and in college, Jeannette Winterson captured my fancy. (Calvino’s If on a winter’s night a traveler is one
of two books I brought with me to Morocco, the second being Nobody’s Home, by Dubravka Ugresic.)
During my first year of service, I read
mostly fantasy. I reread Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series in time to open the fourteenth and
final installment that was published last January. Everyday was stretch,
whether it included eating lunch with my neighbor, teaching an English class,
or buying vegetables at market. I wanted quick reads that sucked me in between
the pages, so that I left the olive groves of my town far behind. After two
years, my integration endurance is at an all-time high. I have the energy to be
an active reader again, which has been a great comfort. In my continued absence
from home, I crave authors who can carry my imagination there. M'Hamed, our librarian, recently mailed
me a box of Morrison, Steinbeck, and Vonnegut. I never finished Grapes of Wrath during my high school
American Literature class (there was usually one book that fell to the wayside
each year), but now it sits on my shelf, waiting its turn.
As I was learning the local dialect
during my first two months of training, I quickly discovered that the verb for “to
study” and “to read” is the same. I tried to communicate that I wanted time to
read by myself, but my host mother admonished me: Khadija will help you study, speak! I resorted to reading by
headlamp at night when I went to bed. With my second host family in Foum Oudi,
I was less evasive. At afternoon tea, I opened my book while the family watched
soap operas. When I had exhausted my limited vocabulary for conversation, I
read in the kitchen with Mema while she made bread. (During those first months
she never let me prepare anything, although I did bully my way into doing
dishes.)
My father taught me from an early age
that you never leave the house without a book. I often find myself waiting in
Morocco—at the taxi stand or for a bus, for students to arrive or an event to
start—and my book has never failed me as a companion. In Morocco, my love of
reading is novel. While it is not out of the ordinary to see people reading the
Quran, small religious texts, or the local newspaper, rarely do I see anyone
else with a book.
Morocco’s complex linguistic landscape
offers a possible explanation for these absent stories. All books are written
in Standard Arabic, a language not taught until elementary school; the spoken
language (Darija) is a dialect that bears some resemblance to its formal
counterpart. Foum Oudi is also one of the many Amazigh (rather than Arab) towns
in Morocco, and most people prefer to speak their Tamazight dialect.
Undeterred and armored with my passion
for books, I organized a reading program at the youth center that partnered
preschoolers with middle and high school students last spring. I loved watching
the children open picture books half their size and subsequently struggle to
turn the pages. After youth expressed greater interest in reading, I wrote a
grant to fund a library for the youth center. Grant funding refurbished the
space with new shelving and stacks of books.
The library opened at the beginning of
February. Children are coming, trickling in at the beginning of the week and
arriving in full force on Fridays. If success were measured by attendance, I
could be satisfied, but older students rarely come to read with them now, as
they are too concerned with their exams. And while some kids read in earnest, most
spend their time talking. The atmosphere does not resemble a library, but then again,
none these children have likely ever set foot one.
It is also likely that none of my
students will ever have the privilege to travel abroad. By sharing books with
them, a small window looking out past Morocco opens—even if they only glance at
the pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment